"Which corset is best for me?" Great question! If you're just starting out, the easiest way to know your ideal corset style is to chat with our sizing experts. They have years of experience fitting corsets and can help you find the perfect one for you!
"What else should I consider when buying a corset?" You're in the right place if you'd like to know how to fit a corset yourself, details on all of our corset styles and what to consider when making your selection.
Photo Credit: @parisburns
In this comprehensive guide to buying your first mirai333 corset, you'll find:
- Torso Length: What it is and why it matters
- Corset Curve Levels: Our 4 corset families
- Corset Shape & Curve: Our style numbers explained
- Corset Sizes: How much of waist reduction?
- Corset Types: Underbust or overbust?
- Corset Fabrics: The right threads to fit your look and function
- All the Juicy Details by Curve Level: Modern Curve Corsets, Romantic Curve Corsets, Hourglass Curve Corsets and Extreme Curve Corsets
We offer a number of corset styles that are each designed to fit a specific body type. This handy table shows where each of our styles fit based on two of the most important corset fit factors: Torso Length and Curve Level. (We'll explore these factors and each corset style in more detail below.)
Seated torso length measurement
Corsets, like people, come in different lengths. You'll need a corset that is the same or shorter than your seated torso length. If your corset is longer than your torso, you won't be able to sit down while wearing it.
If your corset is shorter than your torso, it might not offer the coverage you're looking for. At the same time, wearing a corset that's shorter than your torso allows for greater mobility and a stylish corset belt look, which explains why our waspies are so popular!
Our corsets come in 3 lengths, from shortest to longest:
- Waspie (Short): Waspies or "mini" corsets can accommodate seated torso lengths as short as 7.5″, but also work great on just about everyone else!
- Standard (Regular): Long at the front but not the sides. Standard length corsets work for people with a torso length of about 8″ or more (seated measurement).
- Longline (Long): Longline corsets need a seated torso length of about 11″ or more. Their length makes for a stunning look and can create ample curves.
Here's how to measure your seated torso length:
Same Caylyn—totally different corset styles: Modern Curve Waspie Underbust Corset CS-301 in Limited Edition Chili Pepper Red (left) and Hourglass Curve Longline Underbust Corset CS-426 in beige cotton (right).
We offer corsets to fit most any body type from dramatic hourglass curves to modern smooth silhouettes and even masculine styles! We group our corset styles by curve level, from least to most curvy:
- Modern Curve: This curve level is incredibly versatile, fitting body shapes with little natural curve from athletic to apple shaped and more masculine builds, too.
- Romantic Curve: This curve level fits many body shapes from slim to those with moderate natural curve.
- Hourglass Curve: Perfect for those with lots of natural curve and extra hips.
- Extreme Curve: The name says it all! This curve level is for seasoned corseters who are looking for a dramatic or vintage look.
Let's put your torso length and curve level together to find your ideal corset style. Each of our corset styles has a style number so you can find your style no matter what color or fabric you're looking for!
"What corset size should I get?" The easiest and surest way to find out the perfect size for your purpose, goals and experience is to chat with our sizing experts!
Don't want a personalized sizing recommendation? As a general guideline, you can use your natural waist measurement (where you naturally bend from side to side):
- If your natural waist is under about 38”: order 4-7 inches smaller than your natural waist
- If your natural waist is over about 38”: order 7-10 inches smaller than your natural waist
The size for you depends on what you'll be using your corset for and a few other important factors, so if this is your first corset we highly recommend sending your measurements to our friendly sizing experts.
Whether you'd like an overbust or underbust is mostly a matter of preference.
- Underbust corsets are generally easier to fit, wear and break-in than an overbust corset. They're also great for waist training, stealthing (hiding under your clothes) and everyday wear.
- Overbust corsets are fabulous statement pieces that are ideal to wear out on the town or for a special event. They can also be great for those looking for a bra alternative.
Once you know your size and style numbers, you might be thinking, "Which fabric is best?" The fabrics used to make corsets (cotton, satin, mesh, brocade and leather, plus special limited edition fabrics) are all high strength, but some are better for certain uses than others.
If you plan to wear your corset under your clothes, then we suggest satin. Your clothing will glide over the top of the corset like a slip under a dress rather than clinging to it. Lint and pet hair won't cling to the satin fabric either, which if you have pets may be a big deal for you!
Satin is best for:
- Wearing under clothes (stealthing)
- If you have pets that shed
Mesh is comfortable and easy to wear over or under clothing. Because it's a breathable cotton mesh, it's particularly useful in the hot summer months. It also creates a great silhouette because there is so little bulk to the corset. Mesh is a popular choice among corset beginners, too. The lightweight construction is a great way to see if corseting is right for you!
Mesh is best for:
- Wearing under clothes (stealthing)
- Wearing in summer or hot climates
- Corseting beginners
Make sure to keep an eye on our limited edition corsets like this funky one. They go quick!
If casual comfort is more your thing, cotton is the fabric for you! Cotton takes a bit longer to feel like it's broken in, but once it is it will be as comfortable and easy to wear as your favorite denim jeans. Stealthing in cotton corsets is a trickier because of the thicker fabric with more texture.
Cotton is best for:
- Comfort and breathability
The brocade fabrics are a gorgeous, thick polyester blend that almost feel like a light tapestry or upholstery fabric. They look more elegant than a plain fabric and can add something a little extra to your outfit. As it is a thicker, woven fabric it will take more wear time for it to be as comfortable as a thinner fabric, but once it is broken in it will be a comfortable and classy addition to your wardrobe.
Brocade is best for:
- Outfit accessory and classy style
Lambskin leather is incredibly supple, and it is comfortable almost immediately. Lambskin isn't the stiff and rigid cowhide leather you might expect when you think of leather fabrics. Although your clothes won't cling to this fabric, if you wear it under your clothing, it does have a bit more bulk. So it's better to wear it over your clothing and show it off. We don't recommend daily waist training in leather, as it’s a natural skin and not a man-made material, it can stretch over time.
Leather is best for:
- Outfit accessory and classic style
- Wearing over your clothes
PVC is surprisingly comfortable and easy to wear, but let's get real... you're wearing PVC to stand out (and look and feel luxurious). Our striking PVC will also keep you warm and cozy, it’s a favorite among our customers who live in cold climates!
PVC is best for:
- Outfit accessory and stand-out style
- Wearing over clothes
The corsets in the Modern Curve family are incredibly versatile. They're designed for body types with little natural curve from athletic to apple shaped, as well as those wider at the ribs than hips.
The Modern Curve Waspie is a short corset that packs a punch! The short design will highlight your waistline beautifully whether you have a short torso or a long torso. With a more gentle curve than our other waspie corset, the Hourglass Curve CS-201, this corset will give anyone with an athletic or apple shape more of the curve they are looking for.
The CS-301 Modern Curve Waspie Corset is best for:
- Most body types and especially short torsos (with a seated torso length as short as 6.5")
- Those wanting extra mobility while waist training
- Those with average or longer torsos not looking to conceal a lower tummy pooch
Our Modern Curve Underbust, the CS-305 is a classic, gentle silhouette that will give athletic figures and those with a narrow hip a beautiful, smooth shape that looks natural. This style is a great choice for waist training beginners, the gentle shape will help to train your waist and when you’re ready, you can move into a more curvy corset for even more dramatic curves.
The CS-305 Modern Curve Standard Corset is best for:
- Athletic or firm body types, including apple or column-shaped torsos
- Those with standard or long torsos of at least 8" seated torso length
Our Modern Curve Longline, CS-701 is ideal for those who need a longline corset but also have a narrow hip and broad rib cage. It’s favored among our male customers and gender-fluid individuals looking for support and definition without a dramatic feminine silhouette. The silhouette of this corset will have you looking smooth and lean from any angle thanks to the tailored lines of this design.
The CS-701 Modern Curve Longline Corset is best for:
- Those with a larger measurement at the ribs than hips
- Athletic or firm body types with a long torso of at least 11" seated torso length
The Romantic Curve collection is full of some of our most popular styles among waist trainers and casual corseters alike. Ideal for those with or without corseting experience that are looking to emphasize their own natural curves.
One of our classic designs, the Romantic Curve underbust has been a fan favorite for many years. This style is favored among some of our most dedicated waist trainers for it’s comfortable shape and classic design. While many of our designs have a high back, the Romantic Curve underbust does not extend quite as high up the shoulder blades which can make it an ideal choice for wearing with dresses and under clothing seamlessly.
The CS-411 Romantic Curve Standard Corset is best for:
- Most body types with at least a moderate amount of curve to fill it out
- Those with a seated torso length of at least 8"
Although it is one of our newer additions compared to the other corsets on this list, our CS-411 overbust has quickly become a top contender for the ideal stealthing corset. Designed to help smooth and shape not only the waist and abdomen but also to lift the bustline. You’ll even notice that difficult to smooth areas like the upper back and side are smoothed in this shapely overbust!
The CS-411 Romantic Curve Overbust Corset is best for:
- Short torso with a B - E cup depending on your coverage preference
- Those that do not have an extremely athletic build or long torso (for a longer Romantic Curve overbust, see the CS-530)
The CS-345 is one of our more unique styles as it seems to work well for a broad range of figures from slim with very little natural curve all the way to full figured with a distinct natural hourglass figure. Ideal for people with a long torso that are looking for the hourglass figure but that do not have a pronounced waist to hip ratio naturally. This corset will cinch the waist while the high coverage in the back smooths out any troublesome “back squish”. The unique cut above the hips of this corset allow for more bodies to wear this style comfortably.
The CS-345 Romantic Curve Longline Corset is best for:
- Most builds from slim to natural hourglass
- Those with a seated torso length of at least 9"
If there was an overbust sister to the CS-345, our CS-530 would be it! This corset flatters a variety of body shapes beautifully, the longline length at the front tummy offers coverage where you want it most but the sides are cut away to allow those with a shorter torso to comfortably wear it. Those that are looking for a shapely overbust corset top with plenty of support for large busts will love the feel of our CS-530 corset top.
The CS-530 Romantic Curve Overbust Corset is best for:
- Average and long torsos (at least 10" seated torso length) with moderate natural curve
- Those with a bra cup size of roughly D to G
Our alternative longline option in the Romantic curve family, the CS-411 longline is ideal for those looking for superior lower tummy control. The shape of this corset makes achieving a smooth silhouette under or over your clothes a cinch! The straighter edge below the bust line hugs the bust without a push-up effect to your bust.
The CS-411 Romantic Curve Longline Corset is best for:
- Most body types with at least a moderate amount of curve to fill it out
- Those with a seated torso length of at least 11"
The Hourglass Curve Collection is designed for people who are naturally curvy, no matter their corseting experience level! The Hourglass curve collection is available in short to longline lengths, overbust or underbusts. Although it’s ideal for those with a defined natural hourglass shape, even those with a moderately defined natural hourglass figure with some squish can wear this style!
Our best-selling corset, the CS-201 waspie is a comfortable, waist training dream of a corset. Made for those with a curvy, short torso in mind and equally beautiful on those with a long torso! If you’re looking to achieve dramatic curves, you’ll be pleasantly surprised that such a lightweight corset can give you the effect you’re after! Customers love the comfortable fit of the rib and hip that doesn’t go away even when you’ve cinched down to dramatic proportions.
The CS-201 Hourglass Curve Waspie Corset is best for:
- Those with lots of natural curve
- Full figures with lots of hip and "squish"
- Those with long torsos, some squish and some natural curve
Our standard length CS-426 is a popular choice among waist trainers, pin-ups, performers and anyone looking to enhance their natural hourglass curves. Featuring more coverage than our CS-201 waspie all around the torso but most notably at the back to help with the back bulge issue that many corseters try to avoid. This corset is beautiful over or under clothing but we think it’s one of the best for stealthing thanks to the high back to help with back bulge.
The CS-426 Hourglass Curve Standard Corset is best for:
Everything you love about our classic CS-426 standard (directly above) but with the addition of functional hip ties to give you extra room at the hips! Anyone with a pronounced natural hourglass shape and a dramatic waist to hip ratio will love the extra space that the ties can give you when they’ve been opened. Pro tip: open these ties up as you cinch your waist in further, see our Hip Ties tips here!
The CS-426 Hourglass Curve Standard Corset with Hip Ties is best for:
- Those with wider hips and lots of natural curve
- Those with a seated torso length of at least 8"
The quintessential Princess Corset Top, our CS-511 overbust is a feminine overbust for those with a long, curvy frame and a smaller bust size than our other overbust accommodate. This style sits a little lower in the back compared to our other corset styles which allows you to wear a wider variety of clothing over your corset more discreetly! Unlike our other overbust corset tops, the CS-511 has a defined cup shape that can help to fake a smaller bust into looking more full.
The CS-511 Hourglass Curve Longline Overbust Corset is best for:
- Those with lots of hip and plenty of natural curve and a seated torso length of at least 10"
- A bra cup size of A to C (or a slightly larger bust size if you're okay with a little "spillage")
If you’re long and curvy, this is the corset for you! One of our most popular styles among waist trainers and aesthetic corseters alike. The high back and contoured underbust line lifts the bust and smooths any back bulge near the bra strap line. This corset has plenty of room in the rib and hip for anyone with ample natural curves or a moderate curvy frame and some squish to redistribute. The gentle scalloped shape over the hips make this corset a great choice for under clothing to create an enviable shape.
The CS-426 Hourglass Curve Longline Corset is best for:
- Those with lots of hip and plenty of natural curve and a long torso (seated torso length of at least 11")
Everything you love about our classic Hourglass Longline the CS-426, but with the addition of functional hip ties to increase the hip circumference an additional 8” when fully loosened. Learn our tips for Hip Ties, here!
The CS-426 Hourglass Curve Longline Corset with Hip Ties is best for:
- Those with wider hips and lots of natural curve and a long torso (seated torso length of at least 11")
Not for the faint of heart, our Extreme Curve is designed for our most curvy and dedicated waist training customers. Although the shape is one that many new customers are interested in achieving, the extreme proportions on this corset are beyond what many people are ready for early in their waist training journey.
The CS-479 offers the most curvy of customers a vintage Jayne Mansfield inspired figure, The conical rib shape gives a dramatic shape to the waistline and can be great for those interested in rib training. The noticeably cupped hip gently smoothes the lower abdomen without putting any additional pressure on the iliac crest. Idea for those with a standard length torso but also lovely on a long torso!
The CS-479 Extreme Curve Corset is best for:
- Avid waist trainers and tight lacers with a seated torso length of at least 8"
- Those with corsetting experience looking for a vintage shape
We've got you covered! Chat with our sizing experts and know what corset curve level, corset styles and size will work best for you!
An ideal corset fit is important for your comfort and to look your very best. Plus, if you're looking to waist train, the right corset for your body is mission critical to you seeing the results you're looking for.